Photos

Previous Album | Album Home | Next Album

The Granada at Clapham Junction.

The Granada was a 2,500 capacity cinema/theatre built in 1937 which, despite its unprepossessing exterior, has a magnificent interior designed by Theodore Komisarjevsky. It sits on top of St John's Hill, the highest point in the Clapham Junction area. In 1972 it was taken over by Gala Bingo who used it until closing in 1997, since when it has been unused. There have been several break-ins, including illegal raves and squatters which have caused damage to the interior. There are plans to regenerate the Grade II* listed building by creating accomodation above and to one side of it, while keeping and restoring the auditorium, possibly for use as a church. There is a campaign to keep the auditorium available for public use, for theatre and other arts events.

Thumbnail: Click to enlarge Thumbnail: Click to enlarge Thumbnail: Click to enlarge Thumbnail: Click to enlarge Thumbnail: Click to enlarge Thumbnail: Click to enlarge Thumbnail: Click to enlarge Thumbnail: Click to enlarge Thumbnail: Click to enlarge Thumbnail: Click to enlarge Thumbnail: Click to enlarge Thumbnail: Click to enlarge Thumbnail: Click to enlarge Thumbnail: Click to enlarge Thumbnail: Click to enlarge Thumbnail: Click to enlarge Thumbnail: Click to enlarge Thumbnail: Click to enlarge Thumbnail: Click to enlarge Thumbnail: Click to enlarge Thumbnail: Click to enlarge Thumbnail: Click to enlarge Thumbnail: Click to enlarge Thumbnail: Click to enlarge Thumbnail: Click to enlarge

Previous Album | Album Home | Next Album

The Granada at Clapham Junction.